Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Has hell frozen over?


Well, it must have, because I'm posting on my blog. For real. Now don't give me a hard time. Things got busy as usual, and then I kept waiting for news to post that never came, and then I got a little news but wasn't sure how much to say, and then fear set in over saying too much...

I am a neurotic writer. I'm so ashamed.

It's nothing earth-shattering or dance-in-the-streets great. A part of my problem regarding my blog is that ever since Knight's Curse went out on submission to publishers, I'm freaking out just a little bit. I mean, what if an editor decided to check out my blog? And what if I'd written something stupid? Or what if I blabbed about something I shouldn't have (which I've been known to do)?

So I'm making no promises about posting every day. I want to. It's on my mind every day. Does that count?

Okay, so no big news to report. Another publisher rejection, and that makes two. One from Del Rey, and one from Berkley. But there are others we're still waiting to hear from. I'm hanging in there, and my agent says the buzz is good, so it must mean something. Patience, patience, patience...

I won third place in the PASIC Book of Your Heart contest paranormal category. This is very exciting for me, especially since I don't enter a lot of contests, and I hear this one is pretty special because the competition is steep. There were six finalists and the final judge was Toni Plummer, an editor at St. Martin's Press. I'd link you to the list of all winners in all categories on the PASIC website, but they haven't posted them yet. The 2007 winners are still listed for some reason. Here are the winners for this year's paranormal category:

1st Place: Katy Cooper- Dragonfly
2nd Place: Linda Thomas- Sundstrum- AliCyn Wonderland
3rd Place: Karen Duvall- Knight's Curse
HM: Sandy James- The Reluctant Amazon
HM: Ann Roth- The More I See You
HM: Martha G. Verlander- The Slipaway Trail


Hey, guess what? I signed up for NaNoWriMo! This is my first time ever, and I'm excited. I'm not an "official" participant because I won't be following the rules about starting and finishing a book in a month. I'm going for the 50,000 words, baby, and "winning" is not the issue, just making my goal is. I'm well into Mystic Taxi as you can see in my progress meter at the top right. I'll probably post teasers on the blog at some point. It's really a fun story to write, and I'm getting such a kick out of the characters. I'm pretty sure I posted a one-page synopsis a few months ago, but can't remember where it is or I'd link it for you. I'm such a technotard.

Okay, what else is going on. Hmm... Oh, yeah. If you have a minute go visit Miss Snark's First Victim and read all the one page "tension" scenes for this month's Are You Hooked critique session. There should be a big variety. I entered a page from Mystic Taxi. So if you'd like to read a teaser from my latest project, there you go. When the pages are posted, I'll be entry number 9.

Thanks for not giving up on me. Uh, for those who did give up on me, I'm sorry about that. I'll try to do better about posting regularly.

5 comments:

K Trainor said...

Wooooo congrats on your contest win! That's such a great feeling, isn't it? :D

I hear ya on the 'blog guilt'. I'm sure I'll have something brilliant to post...tomorrow. (sigh) Happens to all of us. lol! (Ok, maybe not to Colby. But all the rest of us!)

Karen Duvall said...

Yeah, well, Colby's the most blogtastic blogger ever! I honestly don't know how she does it, I'm just glad she does because I love reading 'em. 8^)

Creative A said...

I'm commenting out of guilt; I gave up. Sortof. I stopped checking more than once a month. Does that count? But so now you're posting again so, yay. And congrats in your win!

I'm doing a break-the-rules nano myself...I'm collaborating with Chandler from Fumbling with Fiction. So far, it's a lot of fun.

-CA

Karen Duvall said...

Aw, that's okay. *pats Creative A on the hand* It's my own dang fault. Sigh.

I met with my NaNo region today and it was fun to meet them. We even got some writing done.

Suzanne McLeod said...

Whoo Hoo! congrats on the win, Karen!! Fantastic for Knight's Curse, and very well deserved.

Crawls back under the deadline stone, now ...