Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Home Stretch

Wordcount 12/20/07: 6503

But that's the number of words since the 9th of December, which was 11 days ago. So I've averaged less than 600 words per day since the last time I reported in. Not good enough.

A lot has transpired within those 6500 words that I've written in the last week and a half. A character died who wasn't supposed to. A fallen angel stopped time and blew up the Fatherhouse. A secret is revealed that could potentially solve the story question posed at the beginning of the book. So all in all, it's been a productive week, just not a prolific one.

I'm a bit hung up over total wordcount. I tend to write tight, and have to go back through a manuscript to fill in and flesh out the narrative. That's just how I write. But still, I can't help worrying that I won't have enough words when I reach the end. I'd anticipated about 100,000, but that's not going to happen. I'm thinking now of 70,000 to 80,000 words, tops. I've run the ending of this book through my mind a number of times. I'm on the downhill side of the roller coaster as pivotal scenes make their appearance. It's an exciting time. 8^)

3 comments:

Suzanne McLeod said...

Hey Karen, 600 words a day average is great at this time of year;) so well done. And sounds like some major happenings - love the fallen angel! Is this part of Chalice, or another project?

Karen Duvall said...

Hi, Suzanne! Thanks for dropping by. What time is it there? It's 8:15 a.m. here.

Yep, this is the Chalice book. 8^) The end is in sight at last.

Suzanne McLeod said...

It's 17.17 here just now! Your comment came through at 16.19 so you're around 8 hours behind us ;)

And isn't it a fab feeling when you're getting near the end, and you've nearly got all the story out of your head and onto the screen *G*