Pages

Monday, January 14, 2008

Marketing Monday

If tomorrow is Teaser Tuesday, today must be Marketing Monday, right? I've been thinking of theming each day of the week to make me blog more often.

So... Revisions of my completed urban fantasy novel are underway, and the next step is marketing the manuscript to agents. I've been researching them for a while, met a couple of terrific ones at the two conferences I attended last year. I've created a list of the ones I think would be most interested in Knight's Curse, and they're also ones I think could help guide my career since this book is the first in a series. The agents I have listed on my "A" list represent authors in my genre whose work I enjoy, and authors who are friends of mine so I trust their judgment.

I've had two agents in the past, one that was really wonderful but she decided she no longer wanted to represent fiction. Sniff. Then the other one... well, it didn't work out. So I've been agent-shy for a few years. However, now I'm ready to get back on the horse and polish my query letter, revise my synopsis (practically unrecognizable from how the story actually turned out), and create some kind of tracking system for my queries. The process brings back memories, good and bad. 8^)

I now subscribe to Publisher's Lunch. Now that's a fascinating service. I've enjoyed the deal tracker feature, and it's been fun looking up the pages for my A list agents to help me get more familiar with them and what they represent. I also look forward to creating an author page of my own.

From here on out, I'll post an update every Monday on how my agent search is going and where I am in the process. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Suzanne McLeod said...

Great idea, Karen! Fingers crossed ~grin~

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Querytracker? A handy online service that does what it sounds like.

Rose Nanashima

Karen Duvall said...

I ADORE QueryTracker.net! That's going to be my topic for next Monday. 8^)