Pages

Monday, June 23, 2008

Marketing Monday

What can I say? I'm entering new territory here. Up till recently, I've posted exclusively from the agent search point of view. I have the agent. So now what?

Follow me through the next leg of my journey: quest for publication.

My agent had a few revision suggestions for Knight's Curse, which I happily made, and had a lot of fun doing it. Revision is a process I enjoy. I deleted a scene and bulked up a few others, trimmed some conversations, and introduced a new (albeit very minor) character. I emailed the revised manuscript last Monday, so now I'm waiting to hear that everything's in order and ready to go out on submission.

I won't be able to share submission details here, but I can still report my experience. So stay tuned.

I continue to read other agents' blogs because they can be informative, and I try to stay abreast of industry news. For a terrific view on how consumer buying habits influence book trends, check out Wylie-Merrick Literary Agency's post for May. And I learned something interesting from Jonathan Lyons when he guest blogged over at The League. He offers a great definition of urban fantasy and how it's different from paranormal romance.

I'm working on a new book at the moment, and will post teasers on Tuesdays again, but tomorrow I'll post the scene I had to delete from Knight's Curse due to pacing issues. I hope you'll come back to check it out.

2 comments:

colbymarshall said...

How on earth to you decide which little excerpts from books to tease with? That's so tough!

Karen Duvall said...

I'd pick really short pieces, usually 3 to 4 paragraphs at the most. I'd look for something fast paced, or something that showed the characters really well. Maybe part of an action scene. And definitely a "tease." I wanted readers to eagerly look forward to more.

The teaser I posted today is lots longer than usual because it's a whole scene that didn't make it into the book.

Thanks for stopping by, Colby! 8^)