Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

All In a Day's Work

I just got home from the dentist and the first thing I wanted to do when I walked in the door was change my clothes. It's not like I get dressed up to see the dentist (though I have to admit he is kinda hot), but working at home all day, every day, has gotten me used to wearing comfortable attire. So even jeans are too constricting. It's sweats or jammies for me.

I've even gone out to walk the dog in my pajamas. Admittedly, that was by accident, but if anyone asked I could have said I was wearing "leisure pants." Paisely and plaid are acceptable prints for leisure pants, right? I had boots and a heavy winter jacket on anyway. And the dog didn't care. As long as I throw the ball for her in the park every day, she could care less what I'm wearing. But the neighbors? Pfffft. I don't think they care either.

You may be thinking I don't get out of the house enough, and you could be right. I actually have a Vitamin D deficiency because I'm not outdoors very often, but there's a reason for that. Too much sun is bad for the skin. So if I have a choice between taking Vitamin D supplements or having skin cancer, I'll choose the vitamins.

I get out of the house for various reasons at least two to three times a week, sometimes more. And I'm very lucky to live in a town where everything is close. I can get from one end of town to the other in less than 15 minutes. But when I do get out, I'm always gone a lot longer than I planned.

When you live in a town the size of Bend (I think our population is about 75,000 now), it's hard to go anywhere without running into someone you know. Well, it's hard for me. :) And the people here are so friendly that you're almost guaranteed to make make a new friend every time you leave the house. That's just how it is here. So if I go to the bank, I'll chat with the teller for a good fifteen minutes, then I'll see a friend who's now a bank officer there, so I go talk to her, too. 

In the grocery store I could end up running into at least 2 people I know, so I stop in the aisle to chat. It's a given that I'll strike up a conversation with the clerk at the checkout. How can I not? Whenever I'm out, I pull up to my favorite coffee drive-thru (there's one on almost every street corner here), and I've known the owner of this one since the day I moved here. We have lots to talk about. She likes my books and I always give her one when a new one comes out.

By the time I get home from an errand that should have taken a half hour to forty-five minutes, I've been gone for nearly 3 hours. That's a big chunk out of my day. 

So now you see why I don't get out much. I'm too social. I have to reign myself in or I won't get any work done. That's why on most days I don my sweats or jammies and hunker down over my keyboard to write or design (depending on the project). Now it's time for me to get back to work! I'm off to open Photoshop...

No comments: