Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

Marketing Monday

The day job has consumed last week and this week, so my blogging frequency has been seriously compromised. Aargh! I'm squeaking in a few words tonight just to be able to say I kept up on Monday.

It's marketing day! All engines continue full steam ahead. No response yet to the requested partials, but it's only been a couple of weeks, three weeks since the querying process began. I'm not anxious. Just reporting the facts.

I am disturbed, however, by a partial request from a successful agent I used to think highly of. His blog is awesome! He always has great information to share about the industry. Unfortunately, tucked inside the envelope with his request letter was a "brochure" that told of a service guaranteeing he'd respond to my partial within ten business days. But it would cost me. Sixty bucks, to be exact. I'd have to pay for expedience. Hmm. Well, I don't think so, thank you all the same. There's nothing illegal about this service, but it makes me uncomfortable and I'm not willing to pay for it on principal. I won't mention the name of this agency on my blog because I don't say negative things about anyone here, but if you'd like to know who this agent is, you can email me privately.

On a more promising note, the esteemed agent from Jabberwocky, Steve Mancino, liked my query and wants to see more. Woot! I sent him my first three chapters and a synopsis late last week. Fingers crossed!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's Teaser Tuesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

It sounds as though your agent hunt is going well.

As far as the agent who suggested an expediate fee, will you submit your partial anyway?

There is an agent that I'm aware of that provided this service, but now his/her website no longer mentions it. I wonder if s/he decided to include a brochure with the request letter instead of mentioning it on the website. I'll PM you through AW so we can exchange names.

I'm off to PM

Suzanne McLeod said...

Whoo Hoo! Jabberwocky! fingers crossed ;)