Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What's Up Wednesday

I'm writing this late on Tuesday night because I have an early morning meeting tomorrow. But I have something on my mind and like fog, I know it will vanish if I wait too long to write it down.

What's up with voice? Writers talk about it all the time. Or argue about it. I've even given a couple of workshops on voice at writers' conferences. It's one of those intangible, uncontrollable things, but something that's developed over time. Kind of like growing up. It's also very individual to the writer, like a fingerprint. Each writer has his or her own unique voice that seasons and is enriched over time.

My voice is as unique as the next writer, and I can't say my writing is like so-and-so or such-and-such. I write urban fantasy, but I don't have the snarkitude you'd expect in an edgy, urban tale. My characters are strong, but not flippant. My heroine is feisty, but sensible. Her story is atypical of what you might find today in the fantasy section of the book store. If I had to name an author who's writing is similar to mine, I'd say I'm a cross between Clive Barker and Vicki Pettersson. Now there's a match, huh? 8^) They're two of my favorite authors, too.

I just thought I'd bring this up because it concerns me. I'm not consciously trying to be different, I just am. I can't help how or what I write. It could hurt me, or help me. I'm eager to know what agent out there is willing to take on a new kind of story written by a storyteller unlike anything on the shelves.

Dare to be different. Some of us don't have a choice.

No comments: