I know you're all waiting with baited breath to find out the answers to Wednesday's quiz. I had a lot of visitors that day, but only one attempt to play the game! So Maggie wins by default. Maggie, please email me your snail mail address and let me know which book you'd like me to send you. My email address is jkduvall at bendbroadband dot com.
Are you ready? Here are the answers:
1. Hen tea–chicken broth
2. Fried zander steak–fried fish
3. Fritted Inkpot–fried squid
4. Grilled slices of pork maiden slopped with Gipsy sauce–pork medallions with a tomato sauce associated with Gypsies
5. Wild boar on hip wine sauce–really wild boar, with rose hip wine sauce
6. Baked smoked knee for two persons–ham hocks
7. Pickled Rams Horns–a vegetable similar to okra
8. Home tray of chef for two persons–chef's choice of grilled mixed meats
9. American potatoes–somewhat like "jo-jo" potatoes, but not as greasy, a fat "french fry"
10. Fried champions–fried mushrooms
11. Fried ermine in beer batter–deep fried "Hermelin" cheese, a form of camembert
12. Cup of ice with cream (this isn't as obvious as it looks)–ice cream in a cup with whipped cream on top.