Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Marketing Monday


After 422 million miles and almost a year of space travel, the Phoenix has landed softly and safely on the northern polar region of Mars. Yay! This is so exciting it gives me butterflies.

It's such an amazing feat that it makes one think just about anything is possible. Including getting an agent and a publishing contract. I just had to work that in to my Monday marketing post.

The quest for representation continues, and it's been an encouraging one so far with a few speed bumps along the way. Something I've noticed, though, and with some chagrin, is that several of the agents I'd queried have since made changes in the genres they represent. I guess I'll never hear back from those folks, and that's fine. It's better to know sooner rather than later.

Speaking of never hearing back, the non-responsive agent is that annoying little tag on the back of your shirt that makes your skin itch. You know it's there, you can feel it, and it will constantly bug you until you cut it free. Once you do, it's gone forever.

That's not a great analogy, but what I'm trying to say is that I won't be approaching those agents in the future. I doubt they care because hey, who am I? I may be no one, but there are plenty of future someones looking for just the right agent to represent their books and help guide their careers. One of those writers could be the next Stephanie Meyer, Jim Butcher, Harlan Coben, Alice Hoffman, etc. They're researching agents to submit their manuscripts to, and they're paying attention when they read about the ones who respond to queries, and the ones who ignore them. Who do you think these future best sellers will query? Not the agents unwilling to send even a form rejection. Nope, those agents won't get the chance to give these gems a pass. They're already out of the running.

I totally understand why some agents have elected to let queries go unanswered unless interested in seeing more. There are clueless writers out there with egos the size of Texas who respond to rejections with hostile invectives and moronic reasoning. I'm honestly sorry about that because those idiots ruin it for those of us who know better. But you know what? As rejections are the norm for talented writers seeking representation, belligerent writers with the manners of pigs at a dinner party are part and parcel of this business, too. There be weeds in the garden of scintillating literature, and sometimes you have to pull them out to reach the good stuff.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soap box now before I get splinters in my feet.

No comments: