Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Teaser Tuesday - Mystic Taxi

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but there was no marketing news to report. I heard from my agent today, who just returned to the office after the holidays. She's had the flu and now I'm sure she has tons of work to catch up on. Maybe news next week?

I'm still in the running for Karin Tabke's First Line contest. There are now fifty contestants left. It will be down to 45 next Monday.

Speaking of marketing, there's a wonderful Q&A interview with four agents over at Poets & Writers. It's a long article, but it contains some great information, so you really should check it out (if you're a writer). The agents interviewed are quite candid with their responses.

There's an uplifting article from The New York Times that updates the state of reading in America. It's improved over last year! More readers mean better book sales, or so we hope.

It wouldn't be Tuesday if I didn't post a teaser, so here's a short excerpt from Mystic Taxi:

He pulled up to the curb in front of her aunt's Brooklyn apartment building. "I'll wait here."

"Ah, come on, Mr. Paine. Won't you come inside? My Aunt Alva is a mean cook, and she knows how to cook for spawnsters, since half our family is Hellspawn." She didn't really want him to come in, but how else would she win him over? "Ain't you hungry?"

"I'm fine. Just get me my demon boxes and I'll go."

"Well, my belly's so empty I'm fartin' cobwebs."

He gave her a horrified look. "You eat with that mouth?"

She rolled her eyes. No sense of humor. "I'm gonna have my supper before I fetch your boxes, so come in or stay out in the cold. Up to you."

He shivered and switched off the engine.

"Great!" Wanda smiled and pushed at the door, which opened so fast it nearly swung her out onto the sidewalk with her still holding the handle.

"Mystic, cut it out. We're almost done with this… this…" He waved a hand at Wanda as if unsure what to call her.

She ignored the insult and kept her smile. "Is there something I can do for your, uh, Mystic? Bless her heart."

Henry offered a sardonic grin. "Nice try."

No comments: