Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Preparing for Conference

The Card No One Will See At Conference *cries*

It's an exciting time preparing for the Colorado Gold conference. It's not like I have a lot to prepare for, like I'm not giving any workshops this year, and I won't be signing books. But there's mental preparation. And preparing my husband for the time I'll be gone. And preparing to get up at oh-dark-thirty so I can catch a 5:00 a.m. flight Thursday morning. Chances are I won't be conscious for the evening's launch party, my favorite part of conference!

I failed at preparing business cards in time to take with me, and it's totally my fault. I didn't even think about it until last week, but I ordered them anyway. I just tracked the UPS shipment and it's not due to arrive until Friday. My flight leaves on Thursday. Yeah, I'm screwed. So I'm posting a graphic of my lovely card that I won't get to hand out over the weekend. Wah!

The dog will spend tomorrow in daycare so I can at least get my errands done, and do some last minute housework as well as pack without having an oversized puppy that eats couches under foot. It's $20 well spent. And she has fun. I think. It's hard to tell with her because she prefers people to other dogs, but that's how it goes. The socializing is good for her.

Writing. Yes, I'm doing some. A little. Not enough. I have more characters in this new book than I've ever had in previous ones, but it's a different type of book. About community and friendship and forgiveness, and not about bad guys trying to take over the world. Though there are bad guys. And ghosts. And a freak storm with a mind of its own. You'll see. :)

I have a couple of ads to design by tomorrow, though my creative mind is seated more in my story than my layout. Sigh.

8 comments:

Editor Cassandra said...

Maybe pop out to Staples or Office Max and pick up a pack of those print-your-own business cards kits? They won't be professionally printed, but at least they'll be something...

Your card is too pretty to not share at the conference!

Karen Duvall said...

Aw, thanks! I actually have some of those blank Avery things. I forgot about 'em. I'll give it a try! :)

Karen Duvall said...

Crap. My color ink cartridge form my HP printer is empty. *&%$#()^&#

Barbara Martin said...

Your card is lovely, and is giving me ideas to update my own.

Jennifer Crusie is big on 'community, friendship and forgiveness' in stories. Of course you need bad guys to up the conflict issues.

Good luck on your conference. I'll be waiting for your return to read all about it.

Liz Hill said...

Karen, I love the card and the new book sounds great. Wish I was on my way to Gold tomorrow-- I'll miss seeing you. Say hi to everyone for me! See you next year if not sooner.

Hilary Wagner said...

Lovity love your card! Screams steampunk, also very classy!!

xoxo -- Hilary

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks for the compliments on my biz card. I was able to print some form my computer, but it was really hard to get them lined up on the pre-cut stock. I have a handful to hand out though they look like crap. Sigh. I'll bring my extra special GOOD ones next year. :)

Karen Duvall said...

Ah, Liz, I was hoping you'd be at conference this time! It's been AGES since I've seen you. I hope all is well. :)