Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Marketing Monday


Another week's gone by, and more responses from agents have come in. It was a good week.

So today I want to talk about the post office. I know lots of writers have a love-hate relationship with their post office, but the guy at my little satellite USPS is wonderful! I had some full manuscripts to mail, and we know how that works when return postage is involved, so I walk up to the counter with my bundle of addressed packages, all ready to go.

"Do these all have the same zip code?" he asked.

"Uh, no, but they're all going to New York City."

He weighs one and looks at me over the top of his glasses. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather go media mail?"

Media mail? Yikes, that would take forever. "No, thank you. Priority, please."

He kind of smirks and checks the scale again. "This one, with the confirmation receipt, will be $18.00."

Holy crap! He must have noticed my shock as every ounce of color drained from my face because he quickly said, "You know, you can buy a flat rate box for just $8.95."

Oh, thank God! Why can't all editors request manuscripts electronically? I was lucky that at least one editor had, but not these. So I lugged my packages over to the counter in the back and took up the entire table as I assembled those flat rate boxes, addressed new mailing labels, and slipped my Priority tyvekked manuscripts inside. The very helpful postman even left his station to come ask me if I needed help. All together now: "Awwwwww." Yeah, my sentiments exactly. 8^)

He helped me decide that media mail would be fine for return postage since I wasn't especially eager to get them returned to me in a hurry. So I bought the correct amount of stamps ($3.95), put them in envelopes, and included them with my manuscripts.

Now, I wait. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap…

Well, not really. My next project, MYSTIC TAXI, is underway so I've got plenty to occupy me in the mean time. And I'll still post short excerpts of KNIGHT'S CURSE every Tuesday, so come back tomorrow if you'd like to read more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog by way of Absolute Write (if you ever wonder whether posting on the "Did you update your blog today" thread brings you traffic, the answer is yes, at least today). I read a few of your posts about your agent search -- good luck!

colbymarshall said...

I don't even want to know how much money I've spent toal sending submissions to agents. I am hoping one day I can look back and say it's worth it...but right now all I can think is like you..."It's HOW much?!" LOL!