Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Marketing Monday

If you caught my post on Friday, you'll know the news isn't good. A couple more rejections without helpful feedback. There's a downside to writing something original. If it's too original in these tough economic times (I know, I'm sick of that phrase, too), no one wants to take a risk. So potentially popular books aren't getting snatched up like they should be. I'm ever hopeful my agent will find the editor who will share her vision and enthusiasm for Knight's Curse.

As some of you may already know, Absolute Write was down over the weekend. The withdrawals were painful. I alleviated my agony by hanging out in the AW chatroom, though the conversations often devolved into irrelevancies. Still, there were some familiar "faces" and that was comforting. It's interesting how much we depend on peer groups, and how important they become to our writing process. We typically write in a vacuum and having other writers to talk to at any time, day or night, is a balm to the lonely writer's soul. No one understands a writer like another writer.

My WIP needs a good whipping. I'm on the home stretch and slowing down. I need to regroup and outline upcoming chapters. Still having fun, but it's a challenge.

The new pet gate is up, and I'd post a picture of it, but my camera's battery is dead. I need to recharge it. Anyway, what an amazing difference it makes to our decor. I love it! And fat cat makes it through the little cat gate without any problem. I was so worried he'd get stuck trying to escape and Pupzilla would nip at his backside. However, the puppy is still small enough that she can get through the little cat opening, too, but fast as she's growing, she won't be able to slip through much longer.

Okay, back to work...

4 comments:

Liana Brooks said...

*hugs*

Sounds like a rough day all around. I prescribe a dose of your favorite movie, a home-baked brownie, and then an hour of beating your WIP bloody. :o)

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks for the hugs, Just Me. The day's going well so far, and I'm working on the WIP.

Merc said...

*offers a scimitar for the WIP*

Sorry 'bout the rejections. Never fun, and I can only imagine how much more it sucks on a novel. Have some encouragement cookies.

Hope the rest of the week gets better; at least the gate works. :D

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Merc!